Data Privacy in Medical Industry


I want to address the privacy practices of Healthcare industry. As a computer scientist I have already made strides in exposing data leaks in systems. I want to institute the provacy practices to secure the medical data. There are 2 major events in mu life that has led me into this path.

first paragraph should be somthing that outraged you and set out on the mission
I hear about privacy loss, I didn't poay much attention to it till it adversely affected us. We are a group of 4 friends. one of our friend's dad has put GPS program in his cell phone to track his acrivities. We often venture out on friday to mivies, arcade. One day we decided to venture out little further. We went to Vietnamese icecream shop we hear rave review about. We took uber there and this was one of the eclectic  icecream we ever tasted. few days later my friend came crying and told me that his dad has banned him from anymore weekend escapades. I was shocked to hear tath we were accured of going to underground strip club. We found out his confusion as this place was right next to the icream shop. We were accuse d to defend a crime we didn't commit. This is the first time i got tast of looss of privacy. I can relate to what loss of privacy tcan do . you are asked to justify things. Now i can feel the pain of Mcarthy trials of 20's where people were asked to explain their activities to prove they were not communists. 

I became much more sensitive to such issues.  I read that father one day started to get ads for baby products and pregnancy kit in mail . His wife was not pregnant so he was confused as to why he was getting all these baby ads. He later found out that his own daughter was pregnant. His daughter had been searching up the stages of pregnancy, this information was leaked and everyone related to her received ads related to this.  Data privacy is a big problem. Lately there have many data breaches in the the news. Cambridge analytica has used the Facebook user private info to influence them in voting for US president. I believe this is a tip of the iceberg. Medical information is a big target for data privacy breaches.  I believe this is essential crises we will face in future. I want to help address this problem by being medical insider. describe the problem. When Facebook gave access to Cambridge analytica they didn't know how far and how deep of an access they gave.


Second major event was last summer I shadowed Imran, radiologist at Purdue hospital in summer of 2018. I was able to observed the impact radiologist makes. For example, they make diagnoses and tests that can prevent and arrest many diseases. Additionally, I was able to see the medical systems and how they extract and store patient data. Being aware of data privacy problems, I realized how insecure the medical systems are  healthcare privacy is a huge problem. If employers found out the patient's condition, they may refuse to hire the employee.

There are problems both in tools and processes. As a computer scientist this problem got me interested in developing the right tool. I talked to my dad. We did research and he being in the security industry put me in touch with a friend of his. i have many years of programming experience in JAVA. I know how data can be exfiltrated in programs. He and I brain stormed and came up with a proposal to detect data breaches. This led me to take initiative. I am creating the software collaborating with professor at Purdue University at Calumet. This software instruments a medical software. Gains visibility inside and show the data leak maps. I have participated in the user interface design and participated in writing the back-end of this software. This software is available at www.appillumi.com.

Second problem is processes where such tools are instituted. For that one needs to be insider. Someone who has the medical context. Someone who understands the medical information that need to be protected. The hardware and the software stack.  How to use our tool to expose the venerabilities. This led me to becoming a doctor. I especially like Radiology as it is on the front line for medical records. It is also close to my heart as I have interest botht in computer systems and medical technology.


I believe my current work on data leak and filtration maps in the medical systems will be very relevant. As a Radiologist, I will work with startups and medical industry to institute secure practices and to develop software swim lanes to secure the data.


[1] https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-the-number-of-data-breaches-is-soaring-in-one-chart-2018-02-26


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Anxiety Essay

TA-14

Positive Outlook Essay